H.Upmann 1894 cigar box
Exceptionnal cigar box for the 50th anniversary of H.Upmann (1844-1894). Lacquered wood. Richly carved, on all sides, of foliate scrolls, foliage, neo-renaissance style lion heads. The metal work is of engraved silver.
Cuban work circa 1893.
H: 28 cm. W: 59 cm. P: 44 cm.
Provenance : Upmann family descendant, Havana, Cuba.
The imposing cover, with intricate lemon tree marquetry on mahoganny and on top the inlaid inscriptipon HABANA 1844-1894. Balls, acanthus leaves, UH crest, silver angel heads. The box stands on clawed feet. Interior with a printed, black and white still life in hommage to Hermann Hupmann. A photo of the cigar factory, his portrait, the notarial act of the creation of the factory.
A mahogany panel, covered with an ebony plaque with a brass enblem of the factory and the date 1844-1894. The whole box covered in lemon wood with mahogany cabochons.
Hermann Upmann, of German origin, migrated to Cuba with his brother August to set up a bank in 1831. They created the cigar factory in 1844, 85, San Miguel street, Havana. The firm met a great success, in 1891 employing 200 workers. The bank was declared bankupt in 1922 and the cigar firm, due to bad management, was sold to Menendez Garcia y Co in 1937.
This box is a witness to the splendour and prosperity that Cuba enjoyed the world over. In its original condition, this cigar box is one of the most prestigious pieces of the history of cuban cigar.